Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Writing Update 1/17/15

Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of regular updates here. Life has been a little hectic lately, what with my work schedule, starting to learn to sew, finding a show that both myself and Cyhyr (my delightful fiance) love, and a newer friend of mine teaching me how to fight for a boffing larp. For those of you who may not be sure what that is, see such movies as Role Models or The Knights of Badassdom. Also, yes, I know that this update is not what you were expecting, but this scene has been bouncing around in my head for several years now, and I have wanted to get it out on paper forever.

It was a cold, crisp night in Albany, New York.  Despite it being mid January, there were only a few inches of snow on the ground. The city was unnaturally quiet, not even the stiff howl of a breeze blowing.. Nathaniel Davis strode up the heavy marble stairs, his polished shoes gleaming in the welcoming light of the church. His footfalls left shallow prints in the snow, belying his large size. A tall man, he stood just over six foot, with broad shoulders, and moved with the carefully placed movements gained from a lifetime of experience. He wore a hand tailored, dark blue suit, with a blood red tie.

Nathaniel reached the top of the short staircase and pulled the heavy oak door open. Quickly stepping inside, Nathaniel pulled the door closed. It closed with a resounding boom that echoed eerily in the muted light of the cathedral. The pews were ringed with garlands of deep red and white carnations. A long red carpet stretched up to the alter, which sat under a ten foot tall depiction of the crucifixion. To each side, stained glass windows depicted the fourteen stages of the cross. He stepped forward, dipping his hand into the waiting bowl of holy water. He knelt and crossed himself, then walked down the aisle way.

He reached the alter, and stared up at the image before him. "You know. There was a time that I actually believed in you." He muttered, his voice smooth and rich. "I thought that you could help me, were there for me. I guess that was as much a lie as your own existence." He continued to stare up at the idol for  several minutes, until a voice rang out behind him.

"Was there something I can help you with young man?" The voice called to him. Nathaniel turned around to see a tall, slim, middle aged priest was walking towards him, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He smiled at the priest.

"Hello father." He said warmly. "I don't suppose that its possible for you to take my confession?" He asked. The priest nodded back at him.

"Of course I can child. If you would wait in the confessional, I'll be along momentarily. Nathaniel nodded to him and strode back to the confessionals. He stepped inside and sat down, ignoring the kneeler next to the chair. A moment later, Nathaniel heard the priest enter the other side and sit down.

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been thirty-two years since my last confession." Nathaniel began. He paused when he heard a strangled chocking sound from the other side of the confessional.

"My apologies child. I must have misheard you. I could have sworn that you said that it has been thirty-six years since your last confession." The priest stated weakly. Nathaniel smiled to himself ruefully.

"Yes father, that's correct. It's been thirty-six years." He replied. He heard the priest let out a deep breath, and pictured him rubbing his hands over his face.

"Well my child, if its been that long, then surely there are many sins you have to confess. For this session, why don't we just stick to mortal sins." The priest said quietly. Nathaniel took a moment, thinking back over the last several years. He smiled darkly to himself.

"Of course father. Just the mortal sins for tonight." He paused. "Well first father, I haven't once in the last several years kept a holy day." A grunt of acknowledgement from the priest. "I have been indifferent and born false witness." Another sigh from the priest's side. "I have also committed sacrilege." The priest drew in a long, slow breath.

"Those are all of your sins my son?" The priest asked slowly. Nathaniel shook his head.

"For now father. Though, I will be committing another one soon." Nathaniel informed the priest.

"You're going to be committing another sin soon?" The priest asked in shock.

"Yes father. I'll be committing another mortal sin tonight." There was a long pause, then the priest breathed out a question.

"What sin will you be committing?" He asked softly. There was a sudden splintering of wood as Nathaniel's hand smashed through the thin divider. He grabbed the priest by the front of his vestments and ripped him back through the wall.

"Murder father. I'll be committing murder." His face scrunched in fury. "And you know why father." The priest's hand went inside a pocket, then pulled out a silver medal.

"Non Draco Sit Mihi Dux" He cried out, attempting to hit Nathaniel with the small medal. Nathaniel batted the medal away contemptuously.

"I'm not the dragon." He said. "I'm just the man who's here to destroy the bastard that killed my people. You and your Warriors of St. Michael hunt down everything that you consider to be 'unholy'. In your zeal, you killed several of the vampires of this city. Those were people under my protection, friends of mine. That right there, is a mistake you will never be making again." Nathaniel reached into his suit and produced a small handgun.
                                         
                                                                                              ***************

Nathaniel stepped out of the church, looking up and down the street. He started walking back off the way he came, pulling a cell phone from his pocket. He punched in a number, then waited briefly. After several rings, a voice picked up on the other end. "Is it done?" the voice asked coldly.

"Yes sir. The Warriors of St. Michael will trouble our city no more, and the esteemed father is also taken care of." Nathaniel responded. The voice on the other end hung up, and Nathaniel snapped the phone in two pieces, then tossed one down a storm drain. A few minutes later, the other half of the phone was tossed into a dumpster. Ten minutes after that, Nathaniel was in a car and leaving the city.

1 comment:

  1. While I like the vampire twist, it was pretty evident - at least, for me; maybe I'm picking up on your styling - that the man was going to murder the priest (or... SOMEONE that night). Also, maybe it's just the wear and tear of WoD, but I feel like that priest was a bit too exasperated with everything and too casual, as well. For instance, before even knowing what the sin was, I wish the priest would have tried to talk Nathaniel out of committing the most recent one.

    There were a few other technical errors. All-in-all, not my favorite work of yours, but I could see nice potential for a full story designed around this.

    ReplyDelete