Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Writing Promt #2

Good afternoon everybody! Here I am, once again updating. Sorry I didn't get a post up on Friday, but here is today's post. Today's writing prompt comes from the Tumblr blog Writing Prompts That Don't Suck.  The challenge was to include three things: An unlabeled can of soup, a cigarette pack filled with skittles, and an unrequited crush. I was further challenged to use a second prompt at the same time, so the second one, which was the line "I'm just doing what the fortune cookie said to do. Who am I to stand in the way of fate?"

Damian LaFayette stared down at the metal can, curious as to what was inside of it. He shook it rapidly, hoping to hear anything that would tell him what was inside. A sudden noise behind him made him spin in panic, the can raised high to bludgeon whatever was behind him. An athletic blonde in a leather jacket, t-shirt, jeans and well worn hiking boots stood behind him, glaring impatiently at him. "You know, standing there shaking a mystery soup can like that is a great way to get yourself eaten." She told him, the ghost of a smile flickering teasingly across her face. He smiled back at her, then tossed her the can before turning to search the rest of the cabinet. Everything else looked way to picked over to be of any worth, and he closed the cabinet in frustration.

"Nothing of any value anywhere in this god forsaken town." He growled angrily. "Dang it Nicole, doesn't anything faze you?" He asked with forced calm. She beamed back at him.

"Not really. I mean seriously, in a world like the one we live in now, why would anything?" She retorted calmly. She turned and started out of the kitchen, and he followed her, grabbing his own pack off of the table and leaving the empty house.

As he stepped out into the bright sun, Damian slid a pair of dark wrap around shades on and looked around. It still weirded him out at times, the utter quiet of the world. He looked around and saw Nicole standing about a dozen feet down the road. She stood waiting patiently for him, looking for all the world as though she was just getting ready for a mid afternoon walk. Strange to think that just a few months earlier they had never even met each other, had just been two normal people living normal lives. Well, he thought I was living a normal life. She still wont tell me what life she had been living.
****************
I know that this update is a particularly short one, but unfortunately I have to work early in the morning. I promise to finish the update tomorrow evening when I get home. Sorry everyone.

1 comment:

  1. First - Welcome back, and hazzah for relatively sticking with a writing schedule.
    Second - The "include these three random things" prompt reminds me of the one I used a couple summers back: empty Starbucks cup; laptop power cord; heavy hardbound book. If you haven't checked it out yet, I'll have to send it to you: Shawn Attacks
    Third - Love that you grabbed two prompts to work with, and I loved the line you chose. I chuckled.
    Fourth - Interesting start to a Zombie Apocalypse story, curious how the pack of Skittles comes in.
    Finally - I really wish you had saved this, went to bed, finished today, and posted a day late. Unless you found a trick that I didn't, Blogger doesn't send out alerts when a post is edited/updated. I'll have to stalk it (or wait until Wednesday's update...)

    ReplyDelete